Saturday, March 5, 2011

Evaristo Felice Dall'Abaco: Concerti - Concerti Köln

Evaristo Felice Dall'Abaco
Concerti
Concerti Köln
Teldec 3984-22166-2

This cd blew me away when I first heard it in the autumn of 1998. I had never heard of Dall'abaco, but bought it on faith, knowing that given Concerto Koln's integrity, the album would not fail to please. I have played this cd numerous times, and am always amazed that Dall'abaco is not given the recognition he deserves. He surely ranks up there with all the great baroque composers. The breadth of tonal colors is what contributes to the sheer beauty of the concerti, especially the ones in minor keys. Track 17 ( part of no. 3 in E minor, op. 5) is the one that really makes me sit up; it is incredible, especially the string "fanfare" effect. This cd really would change anyone's mind from thinking that baroque music is just predictably like the Masterpiece Theater theme. The ensemble and sound quality are superb also.

"A Customer", Amazon Customer Review


I remember as a child coming across violin music by Dall'Abaco and thinking it very dull. This recording came as a total revalation to me. I work as a professional musician and have, on the whole, not been impressed by the "authentic" movement. I have heard too much poor and unmusical playing. The Concerto Koln are a very gifted group, their playing is brilliant with a good feeling for style and this recording keeps one sitting on the edge of the chair the whole time. It shows these concerti to be exciting and well worth performing. The sound world this group create for these works is fantastic, with brilliant bowing especially in their off string playing. If you want to try out before buying I suggest track 26 - Ciaconna from the concerto number 6 in D major op.5.

R J S Secret, Amazon Customer Review

No comments:

Post a Comment