Monday, October 25, 2010

Händel: Concerti Grossi Op.6 Nos. 5-8 - English Concert, Pinnock

George Frideric Händel
Concerti Grossi Op.6 Nos. 5-8
The English Concert, Trevor Pinnock
Archiv 410 898-2

The first four concertos of Handel's Op. 6 in The English Concert's performances have already been released on CD (410 897-2AH, 5/84). Here now are Concertos Nos. 5-8 which have been transferred from the original LPs equally satisfactorily. When I first reviewed the set I found the playing and the approach invigorating and, by and large, satisfying. I have not changed my mind since and still find it far and away the most stylish of those currently in the catalogue. Of course there are small things that one can take issue over, but they are few and far between and I doubt if many listeners will be disappointed by the high technical standards and the musicianly performances on display here. The Andante of the seventh concerto in the set is too slow for me but the Hornpipe which concludes it is bubbling over with vitality and good humour. I am a great admirer of Trevor Pinnock's Handel performances with The English Concert and these can be very warmly recommended. The recorded sound is excellent.

N.A., Gramophone Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment